Thursday, August 21, 2014

Blythecon Seattle 2014


               Journey to the Emerald City... 


   This August my sister at BrownEyedRose and I got to travel down the yellow brick road to our first Blythecon event in Seattle, Washington! Being that the event was in Seattle (another Emerald City), the theme was the Wizard of Oz. We saw Dorothy, Glinda, and even some wicked witches!

For Blythecon, I decided to enter the costume contest, and set about creating a one of a kind dress inspired by the Emerald City.



First I sculpted a 3D model of what the Emerald City looked like in the movie.


Then I used a vacuum forming machine to create a thin plastic mold of the clay piece.

After making a few successful molds, I began coating the interior with green sparkly nail polish.






I then cut out fabric and began sewing the dress. To attain the light behind the Emerald City, I took apart a battery operated tea light, and sewed it into the dress.

There were so many beautiful entries to the contest, and I was honored to see mine among them! It was a fun challenge, and I loved using a variety of techniques in one project!


Now on to the loot...








Blythecon Loot Bag! Thanks everyone!
The goodie bag was like opening presents on Christmas morning... There were so many cool freebies that people worked hard to create.



Here is a bow that I sewed based on the pattern that Helena of Funny Bunny gave out. I sewed the little polka-dot dress for my Blythes, and the bow is such a cute accessory!



   And look at these cool goodies! There is a full-sized and doll-sized "Pullstring Zine" that I've had a fun time reading through and Pullstring Lane also created a oh-so-cute shopping bag! My gals were excited to share the itty-bitty cookies from Rose at BrownEyedRose. Seattle locals might know what a kick seeing a doll-sized "Stranger" magazine is, made by Lexi at ConfettibyLexi....and my girls loved sipping some mocha from a miniature Starbucks mug, created by Valerie at "Blythely I Go". Button Arcade made little "Good Witch" and "Bad Witch" buttons for every vendor. Tiny Haus carefully created a doll-sized admission pass, and Pullstring Lane created a oh-so-cute shopping bag! Finally, Erika at SnowWhite created this fabulous dress that Willow is modeling below... I can't than everyone enough for all the hard work you put into making this event AWESOME for everyone!

A gorgeous dress by Snow White in my goodie bag!

What a great time we had, and now it's time to look forward to next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment